Financial Resources

Making college affordable

Get answers to your financial questions

The University offers a variety of financial services to students, parents, visitors, faculty, and staff. Whether you’re seeking information about financial aid, tuition and fees, scholarships, internships, postdoctoral and fellowship opportunities, University and non-University award opportunities, or graduate assistantships, you’ll find details here.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What are the current tuition rates? Tuition rates are posted on the Registrar’s Office website and the Office of Financial Aid website.
  • Are there scholarships available? Yes, there are a lot of opportunities for students offered through the Graduate School and other organizations. Check out our financial aid opportunities page for scholarship opportunities.
  • I heard about a health insurance contribution, what is that about and when can I expect to see a refund? Please visit our health insurance resource page for details about the health insurance contribution process.
  • Where can I find out more about the Student Employee Retirement Plan (SERP)?
  • What do I need to do to become a resident?  The  Office of Financial Aid  determines residency; please feel free to contact their office with questions.
  • Is there a tool available to help me with financial planning for my graduate degree? helps you explore the financial aspects of earning a graduate degree.  You’ll find loan tips, budgeting tools, a guide for exploring the value of your degree and other helpful resources.

Types of Financial Aid


Assistantship awards offer a stipend to the student in return for certain specified services to the University. The stipend is treated as income (subject to withholding taxes) and both the University and the student agree to a formal appointment when an assistantship is arranged. Each department is responsible for determining whether a student qualifies for any graduate assistantships. Visit our assistantship page for types of assistantships and requirements.


Scholarships are gift aid and do not have to be repaid. Scholarships are awarded based on different factors including merit, financial need, and talent. They are awarded by institutions, governments, private individuals, foundations, and community organizations. Visit our financial aid opportunities page for CSU and other scholarships.


Grants are financial aid that does not have to be repaid. The grant amount is based on financial need, cost of attendance, and enrollment status. Grants are need-based awards; please visit the Office of Financial Aid for additional information.


Fellowships support individuals pursuing advanced research that is of value to humanities scholars, general audiences, or both. Visit our financial aid opportunities page for fellowship opportunities.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

To qualify for and receive financial aid, students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in a program of study that will lead to a degree, teaching certificate and must be in good academic standing at the University. When students apply for financial aid, their progress will be measured against a series of standards (  Having one or more of the violations will result in the suspension of financial aid eligibility. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is reviewed at the end of each term.  

Violations, Standards, and Regaining Eligibility

The following are common violations and remedies for graduate students. The Office of Finacial Aid provides further information online at Satisfactory Academic Progress. 

Violations are caused when:

  • The number of credits students plan to earn on their Program of Study (a form called the GS6) is low in comparison to the actual number of credits that they earn on their transcript.
  • Students underestimate the date of their graduation on their POS in comparison to the time it actually takes.

Possible causes of violations:

  • Students may estimate that it will take only the minimum number of credits required by the department to graduate when in reality they will likely take many more because their research takes longer than originally anticipated.
  • Taking additional credits extends the graduation date.

Regaining Eligibility:

  • Current students – If a student receives notice from the Office of Finacial Aid that s/he has become ineligible for financial aid, the student should immediately contact a Senior Counselor at the Office of Finanical Aid.  (It must be a Senior Counselor.)  The Senior Counselor will assist the student to submit an appeal in the appropriate format to SFS.  If the appeal is accepted, SFS has the capacity to reactivate the student’s financial aid eligibility status.
  • Students who have not yet completed their Programs of Study (GS-6 form) –  Ensure the Programs of Study includes an adequate number of research, thesis, or dissertation credits that would cover the need for extended research efforts.  A student should ensure the anticipated dates of graduation match the number of credits they will earn.  The Programs of Study must closely match the students’ transcripts and the students’ graduation dates.  If students propose more credits than they actually take and extend their graduation date accordingly, their financial aid will not be negatively affected.  When students complete their Application for Graduation (Form GS25), they will make all necessary changes to align their Programs of Study with the credits they have actually earned and the date they will graduate.