Assistantship awards offer a stipend to the student in return for certain specified services to the University. The stipend is treated as income (subject to withholding taxes) and both the University and the student agree to a formal appointment when an assistantship is arranged. Each department is responsible for determining whether a student qualifies for any graduate assistantships.
There are three types of graduate assistantships:
- Teaching assistantships (GTA)
- Teaching assistants help in the provision of education services to undergraduates. Responsibilities may range from grading papers through leading discussions or lab sessions to complete independent teaching of a class.
- Research assistantships (GRA)
- Research assistants typically work with a professor on a project of importance to scholarship.
- Support assistantships (GSA)
- Support assistants provide administrative services; they are typically located in non-academic units like Housing or Athletics, but may be found in any office.
NOTE: If you hold a graduate assistantship during the fall and/or spring semesters, you must be registered for at least one on-campus credit each fall and spring semester that your graduate assistantship appointment is in effect. Please review the Graduate Assistantship – Terms and Conditions of Appointment.
Waived Student Late Fee for First Billing Cycle
The Graduate School, in partnership with Business and Financial Services, implemented a permanent program regarding the payment of student fees. Exclusively for graduate assistants, the program waives student late fees for the first billing cycle of each fall and spring semester. The program was implemented because we understand many Graduate Assistants do not receive their first paycheck until after the first billing cycle due to processing delays in the student’s department or other units involved in processing appointments.
Graduate Assistants may disregard the first eBilling notification of each semester indicating that you will receive a late charge if your balance is not paid by the first billing date of the semester.
CSU Employee Assistance Program / ComPsych
Graduate Assistants (GTA, GRA, and GSA) at CSU are eligible to utilize the CSU Employee Assistance Program / ComPsych as a benefit of their assistantship.
The benefit provides Graduate Assistants access to additional mental health resources as well as a wide range of services to assist GAs with personal needs inside and outside of CSU.
GAs must currently be enrolled in at least 1 credit (RI) with a minimum 0.25 FTE assistantship. GAs must be in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward degree completion.
- GAs and dependents are offered six free sessions per family member, per issue, per calendar year from a licensed provider in the community.
- Telemedicine virtual counseling sessions are also now available.
- EAP benefits also include access to legal, financial, and work-life guided resources within the community.
- Program details are available at eap.colostate.edu
The EAP benefit is available to GAs in addition to student services provided by the CSU Health Network and through the Student Health Insurance Plan (as opposed to being a replacement or substitute).
Parental Leave Policy for Graduate Assistants
The Colorado State University Parental Leave Policy Graduate Assistant Parental Leave Policy was implemented on August 16, 2016.
If you have any questions regarding the Policy, contact the Graduate School (970.491.6817). Human Resources can assist with administrative procedural questions related to completing the Parental Leave Application at MyHR@colostate.edu or 970.491.MyHR (6947)
Policies for Graduate Assistantship Appointments
Additional Resources and Policies
- Required Orientation for New Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Graduate Assistantship Appointments Policies
- Graduate Assistant Minimum Stipend
- Graduate Assistantship – Terms and Conditions of Appointment
- Graduate Research Assistantship Tuition Premium Program and Key Strategic and Institutional Partners Award
- Parental Leave Policy for Graduate Assistants
- Student Employee Retirement Plan and Medicare Charges
- GTA/GSA Base Tuition Request Form