- Apply Now
- Our Community
- Student Services
- Request Information
- Give Now
Working for your Education
Assistantship awards offer a stipend to the student in return for certain specified services to the University. The stipend is treated as income (subject to withholding taxes) and both the University and the student agree to a formal appointment when an assistantship is arranged. Each department is responsible for determining whether a student qualifies for any graduate assistantships.
There are three types of graduate assistantships:
- Teaching assistantships – Teaching assistants help in the provision of education services to undergraduates. Responsibilities may range from grading papers through leading discussions or lab sessions to complete independent teaching of a class.
- Research assistantships – Research assistants typically work with a professor on a project of importance to scholarship.
- Support assistantships – Support assistants provide administrative services; they are typically located in non-academic units like Housing or Athletics, but may be found in any office.
NOTE: If you hold a graduate assistantship during the fall and/or spring semesters, you must be registered for at least one on-campus credit each fall and spring semester that your graduate assistantship appointment is in effect. Please review the Graduate Assistantship – Terms and Conditions of Appointment.
Parental Leave Policy for Graduate Assistants
The New Colorado State University Parental Leave Policy Graduate Assistant Parental Leave Policy was implemented on August 16, 2016.
If you have any questions regarding the Policy, contact the Graduate School (970.491.6817). Human Resources can assist with administrative procedural questions related to completing the Parental Leave Application at MyHR@colostate.edu or 970.491.MyHR (6947).
- Required Orientation for New Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Graduate Assistantship Appointment Manual
- Graduate Assistant Minimum Stipend 2017-2018
- Graduate Assistantship – Terms and Conditions of Appointment
- Assistantship Health Insurance Contribution
- Key Strategic and Institutional Partners Award
- Parental Leave Policy for Graduate Assistants
- Student Employee Retirement Plan (7.5% ) and Medicare (1.45%) Charges
- GTA/GSA Base Tuition Request Form