Assistantship Resources and Policies

Working for your Education

Assistantship Resources and Policies

Assistantship awards offer a stipend to the student in return for certain specified services to the University. The stipend is treated as income (subject to withholding taxes) and both the University and the student agree to a formal appointment when an assistantship is arranged. Each department is responsible for determining whether a student qualifies for any graduate assistantships.

There are three types of graduate assistantships:

  • Teaching assistantships – Teaching assistants help in the provision of education services to undergraduates. Responsibilities may range from grading papers through leading discussions or lab sessions to complete independent teaching of a class.
  • Research assistantships – Research assistants typically work with a professor on a project of importance to scholarship.
  • Support assistantships – Support assistants provide administrative services; they are typically located in non-academic units like Housing or Athletics, but may be found in any office.

NOTE: If you hold a graduate assistantship during the fall and/or spring semesters, you must be registered for at least one on-campus credit each fall and spring semester that your graduate assistantship appointment is in effect. Please review the Graduate Assistantship – Terms and Conditions of Appointment.

Waived Student Late Fee for First Billing Cycle

The Graduate School, in partnership with Business and Financial Services, implemented a permanent program regarding the payment of student fees. Exclusively for graduate assistants, the program waives student late fees for the first billing cycle of each fall and spring semester. The program was implemented because we understand many Graduate Assistants do not received their first paycheck until after the first billing cycle due to processing delays in the student’s department or other units involved in processing appointments.

Graduate Assistants may disregard the first eBilling notification of each semester indicating that you will receive a late charge if your balance is not paid by the first billing date of the semester.

Parental Leave Policy for Graduate Assistants

The New Colorado State University Parental Leave Policy Graduate Assistant Parental Leave Policy was implemented on August 16, 2016.

Please reference the Policy for eligibility and application form details. Additional information is located on the HR website.

If you have any questions regarding the Policy, contact the Graduate School (970.491.6817). Human Resources can assist with administrative procedural questions related to completing the Parental Leave Application at or 970.491.MyHR (6947).

Exclusive Program for Graduate Stud

Additional Resources and Policies