Colorado State University is a land-grant institution and a Carnegie Research University located in the heart of Fort Collins; it provides students with a unique and rich campus life.
Resting against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins’ location provides easy access to the mountains and is just one hour north of Denver, a major cultural and business center. From snowboarding, camping, fishing, and rafting to world-class shopping and professional sports, you’ll find it within a reasonable drive.
In the News and Social Media
- Read stories related to the CSU graduate community are included in our News section on the homepage of the Graduate School’s website.
- The gallery features more than 340 stories. Most stories are also shared via Graduate School social media channels.
- Stories of the immense impact of CSU graduate students are also featured in the Grad Ram Impact gallery
- The Grad Ram Impact gallery includes more than 100 featured stories including graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
Campus and its history
- CSU was founded as the Colorado Agricultural College in 1870. It was one of 68 land-grant colleges established under the Morrill Act of 1862. The doors opened to a freshman class of 20 students in 1879. In 1935, the school became the Colorado State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, or Colorado A & M, and was renamed Colorado State University in 1957.
- Eight colleges, multiple inter-university programs.
- 246 graduate degree programs (176 Master’s, 70 Doctorate).
- 71 Graduate Certificates.
- Library holdings include more than 2 million books, bound journals, and government documents.
- 250 world-class music, theatre and dance performances; exhibitions; and other high-profile arts events annually.
- CSU has 228,000 active alumni in all 50 states and around the world. There are Ram Networks across the nation with 13,000+ Alumni Association members.
- For the fifth year in a row, U.S. News and World Report has ranked the Colorado State University College of Business Online MBA No. 1 in Colorado.
- Information on the value of a CSU education is summarized at csueffect.colostate.edu
- CSU Accolades
- 475+ registered student organizations
- 14 intercollegiate sports programs
- 1 st – Greenest Universities according to Bestcolleges.com 2018
- Academic partner with Semester at Sea and CSU Todos Santos Center in Mexico
- Over 20% of tenure-track faculty and 25% of new faculty are international
- 2,000 international students and scholars representing 110 countries
- One of the top universities every year for recruiting Peace Corps volunteers
- 17 key strategic partnerships around the world, including four with leading Chinese universities