Your thesis or dissertation must be approved by the Graduate School by the published deadline dates of your graduating term in order to graduate in a given semester. Additionally, all required forms must be completed by by the published deadlines.
Please familiarize yourself with the required submission process, copyright registration, and the student and advisor responsibilities prior to the semester you plan to graduate.
You are required to adhere to the Colorado State University Graduate School formatting and submission guidelines. The guidelines found in your department, listed on any other CSU webpages, or any previously published ETDs may not meet current formatting guidelines.
The word “thesis” refers to both the thesis and the dissertation unless otherwise noted.
Submitting Your ETD
Find tips and “how-to” resources below and you may also review detailed instructions on the Organizing and Formatting Your Thesis and Dissertation page.
Contact the Graduate School at email@example.com or 970-491-6817 if you still have formatting questions.
ETD Formatting Checklist and Sample Pages
- Pagination. Check all pages in your ETD to ensure all pages are numbered correctly as shown in the sample pages below and there are no blank pages.
- Copyright Page is inserted after the Title Page with no page number
- Abstract Page is ordered after the Copyright Page with small roman numeral ii
- First page of main text is page 1.
- All page numbers are 1/2″ from the bottom of the page and centered.
- Check the Master’s Thesis Title Page Sample, Ph.D. Dissertation Title Page Sample, Abstract Sample Page and Copyright Sample Page to ensure your pages conform.
- Verify that the title on your Title Page and Abstract matches the title on your GS30 Thesis/Dissertation Submission Form.
- The Abstract and Acknowledgements are located only in the Preliminary Section.
- Check that your department name and degree name are correct.
- Check that your graduation term is correct. (Spring, Summer or Fall and year.)
- Check margins. Correct margins are 1 inch: top, bottom, left and right.
- Check that your Tables and Figures are correctly titled and numbered:
- Table captions go above the table.
- Figure captions go below the figure.
- All tables and figures must conform to margin requirement.
To assist fellow graduate students in the development of their thesis or dissertation, a pilot project was initiated by the Graduate Student Council to create a trial offering of a LaTeX template. The The CSU Graduate School and the Morgan Library are unable to provide troubleshooting support for students who opt to use this template. If you opt to use the template, it is your responsibility to ensure your thesis or dissertation meets current Graduate School formatting requirements. Please use only use the template if you are knowledgeable and familiar with the program. View information on the the Colorado State University LaTeX Thesis/Dissertation Template.
How-to Guide for Page Numbering
Bring your electronic file to an ETD Open Lab and be prepared to open your file as a PDF on the lab computer. Graduate School staff will provide a preliminary review of your document format and help with common issues. If you are using LaTeX, formatting can be checked if you bring a pdf file for review; however, we are unable to offer support for LaTeX.
ETD Open Labs are held each fall, spring and summer semester.
Spring 2021 ETD Open Labs are canceled. If you would like your document reviewed for formatting before submitting to Pro Quest, please send it as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 26. We will do one preliminary review. All subsequent revisions must be submitted through ProQuest.
Submit your completed GS30 Thesis & Dissertation Submission form. Access the form in RamWeb, then deliver it to the Graduate School:
Submit your thesis or dissertation electronically to ProQuest/UMI through the Colorado State University Libraries ETD Submission Website.
You are almost there! An email will be sent to your official CSU email address from ProQuest notifying you of any required revisions.