Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) research is aimed at educating and training the next generation of out-of-the box thinkers to solve the biggest global challenges.
By fostering a multidisciplinary approach, MSE degree programs strive to endow students with the tools to strategically question current design paradigms and drive innovative materials and manufacturing solutions across a diverse range of technological sectors. Motivated by modern materials challenges in energy, computing, transportation, impact protection, robotics, and global health care, MSE programs’ comprehensive, experiential training is designed to arm graduates with a modernized skill set tailored to confront those challenges head-on.
MSE degree programs are designed to engage students with:
- Active hands-on training in the latest materials characterization and computational methods, materials-focused intellectual property protection and technology transfer, and professional soft skill development.
- Enhanced educational opportunities promoted through industry partnerships, facilitating internships and class time spent in active commercial manufacturing labs.
- A diverse core of faculty mentors driving advances in controlling structure at the nanoscale, predictive property modeling, high performance metal, polymer and ceramic composites, photovoltaics, and additive manufacturing.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Materials Science and Engineering
The overall objective of the MSE-PHD is to develop students to be science and engineering professionals who use their multidisciplinary problem solving skills to address global challenges in the field of materials science and engineering.
- Contact your department representative or request more program information.
- Check out department requirements and resources from your department’s website.
- When you’re ready to take the leap, start your application.
Coursework, credit requirements, and more information is available in the Colorado State University general catalog. Please contact your department representative with program-related questions.
All applicants to the PHD in Materials Science and Engineering are considered for available GRA, GTA and GSA appointments. Applicants should clearly indicate in their Statement of Purpose, their interest in active research areas and/or particular research labs in the department.
- Financial aid resources available through the Office of Financial Aid website.
- Your department may have financial aid options available and please check our financial resource section for additional opportunities.