The Master of Science degree in food science and nutrition with a specialization in food science provides a focus on the health properties of food, food microbiology, safety, and chemistry. You will have the opportunity to research and learn about the processes commonly used in food production, and various methods of improving food safety and quality. The increasing public focus on healthy eating and food sustainability makes an advanced degree in food science especially valuable. This program will prepare you to pursue more advanced degrees or take on jobs in the fields of food systems and microbiology.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Food Science and Nutrition — Food Science Specialization
Areas of Study
The Master of Science degree in Food Science and Nutrition with specialization in Food Science includes advanced studies oriented toward food science, food microbiology, food preservation and safety, and health properties of foods and food components. The program provides students with training for doctoral studies and professional degrees, as well as careers in government agencies and industry. A minimum of 35 credits is required for the MS degree.
- This program is offered on-campus and online (the online program is for Registered Dietitians only).
- Contact your department representative or request more program information.
- Check out department requirements and resources from your department’s website.
- The Great Plains Idea program is offered online at a distance and is for current Registered Dietitians only; resources for distance students are available through the CSU Online website.
- When you’re ready to take the leap, start your application.
Coursework, credit requirements, and more information is available in the Colorado State University general catalog. Please contact your department representative with program-related questions.
Graduate students interested in employment positions (GTA, GRA, GSA appointments and hourly positions) should contact their advisor and their departmental graduate coordinator for the process to apply.