- Apply Now
- Our Community
- Student Services
- Request Information
- Give Now
Frequently Asked Questions
International Students English Proficiency Frequently Asked Questions
What is the minimum TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score for admission without condition?
Per the Graduate and Professional Bulletin, 550 (Paper based) or 80 (internet based) for TOEFL; 6.5 for IELTS; 58 for PTE (Departments may have a higher requirement)
What score must a student have to be considered for a Conditional admit?
Per the Graduate and Professional Bulletin, To be considered for conditional admission, a student must have a minimum TOEFL score of 475 on the paper based test or 50 on the internet based test; a minimum IELTS score of 5.5; or a minimum PTE score of 30. After receiving conditional admission,the student must satisfactorily complete the INTO CSU Academic English Program. Enrollment in regular University academic courses is at the discretion of the INTO CSU Academic Director. Approval of both the department and the Dean of the Graduate School is necessary for such conditional admission.
When is a student exempt from the English proficiency requirement?
Per the Graduate and Professional Bulletin Students are exempted from the English proficiency requirement if the official language of their country is English, if they have recently earned a degree at an American university, or if they have completed the INTO CSU Academic English Program. View the TOEFL Exempt list.
What happens if the student fails to attend the INTO CSU Academic English Program classes and only focuses on the academic classes, resulting in the student’s failure of the INTO CSU Academic English Program classes?
Graduate School is notified and the student will be dismissed at the end of the term for unsatisfactory progress towards their degree if they do not make contact with the INTO CSU Academic English Program management, the department, and the Graduate School regarding their current standing. Furthermore, if the student fails to make satisfactory progress at INTO CSU, INTO CSU will not be able to document or verify that the student has met the program’s language goals to merit waiving the conditionally admitted status.
What happens if a student did not take the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE but is currently enrolled as an INTO CSU student taking English courses? Can we conditionally admit them?
Yes, they can be conditionally admitted. However, they have to finish all INTO CSU Academic English Program courses or submit a TOEFL/IELTS/PTE score that meets the minimum requirements. Conditionally admitted students must finish levels 1 – 3 of the Academic English Program before they can begin taking courses relevant to their CSU degree program.
What are the different levels of English courses at INTO CSU?
- AEBA81xx – Basic Level 1 (3 courses)
- AEBA82xx – Basic Level 2 (3 courses)
- AEIN81xx – Intermediate Level 1 (4 courses)
- AEIN82xx – Intermediate level 2 (4 courses)
- AEAD83xx – Advanced level 1 (3 courses)
- AEAD84xx – Advanced level 2 (3 courses)
Students must earn a grade of S. If a student receives a U grade 3 times on a single course listed above, the student is academically dismissed from the Academic English Program.
What happens when a student is conditionally admitted because their TOEFL or IELTS score is below the minimum requirement?
Students (off-campus) arriving for the first time on campus will take the INTO CSU English placement exam and an AEP study plan will be determined.
Students already (on-campus) in the AEP who have not reached Advanced Level 3 by their CSU admit term will be required to change their CSU admission term.
Additional Information regarding on-campus and off-campus can be found below.
- ON-CAMPUS – Student already on campus currently enrolled in the Academic English program but is not ready to take CSU courses.
- The student will complete the GS1C change of term and work with their department to be admitted to a different term.
- Once ready the student will continue to take English courses along with their academic classes until they have either completed the final course AEAD8601 OR meet the minimum TOEFL/IELTS/PTE requirement by submitting new test scores.
- OFF-CAMPUS – If the student is new to campus and places low on the English placement exam, s/he is not ready to take CSU courses.
- The student will NOT complete the GS1C change of term.
- The INTO CSU advisor will review the INTO CSU “student schedule worksheet” that outlines the road map to completion of the AE program based upon student’s initial placement in the program.
- The student’s CSU academic advisor must review and sign the “student schedule worksheet.” It is expected that the CSU advisor will discuss with the student how the AEP will impact the student’s academic study plan and expected graduation date. Students who are expected to be enrolled full-time in AEP courses will also register for CR (Continuous Registration). Students will register for CR each semester along with their AEP courses until they are ready to enroll in academic courses.
Can students take additional credits while enrolled in a full-time Academic English Program?
Students are allowed to take up to 2 credits of independent study or research credits. The student’s advisor must petition the Graduate School / CSU INTO for this exception.
Is English proficiency required for a student that became a permanent resident?
Yes – Per the Graduate and Professional Bulletin – “Regardless of citizenship, applicants may be required to demonstrate proof of English language proficiency, if they do not have a degree from an institution where the primary language of instruction is English” – Depts. can submit a petition with their recommendation for admission.
PLEASE NOTE: The CR is a requirement for billing and tracking purposes. Students enrolled in CR and AEP classes their first term(s) of attendance CSU may need to be advised and tracked differently by their department because this could affect their cohort start date or Exam Date.